How fast can you build an wall

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

How fast can you build an wall

Postby valleydale » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Hello fellow drystone wallers, i need abit of advice with speed. I have been walling as a business for 2 years. I am an sole trader and been to college for training. However i am having trouble with speed. I had to do 3m in a day to pass my course which i mange to do. After that i was managing to do 2-4 m a day in business. however since last summer my speed as dropped dramatically, i am lucky now to get 1m done a day. i am not sure why this is i am a lot physically stronger than when i first started and my work is a lot better quality. I have done small jobs quicker. i finished 3m recently in a day not long ago but it seems i am alot slower more with big jobs. So my question is-

1. How many meters do you mange to do a day?
2. any advise in how i could improve my speed?
3. Any advise on why you think i have got alot slower?

I would really appreciate your advice i have been really struggling and if this continues i will have to stop my business as i am not even getting £40 a day at the moment. which i would really hate to have to do.

thank you
valleydale

Re: How fast can you build an wall

Postby Weardale90 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Valleydale

I'm probably not the right person to answer this as I haven’t been walling long and currently only wall on a part time basis.

At the moment I can put up 3m a day, if the conditions are good.

This the conditions are bad such as weather or hard-to-work stone that slows me right down.

A few weekends ago I only managed a meter.

Maybe your just working on hard walls these days?

Good luck
Weardale90
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:40 pm

we don't like to answer those sorts of questions on here as it often leads to oneupmanships.

However when I was in my prime 30 years ago I used to build about 5 metres of mountain wall, 6 foot high, footings to top everyday. Now at 61 and riddled with injuries from a life spent working and playing outdoors I struggle to do about 3m. However as my pay rates have increased as I get older and slower I end up making about the same amount of money. When I am 70 I'll be doing about 1 metre a day for £150 a metre!

Maybe you hit the nail on the head when you say you are now doing your walls slower but of a higher quality.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby valleydale » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Thank you both of you for your input. i think i am doing harder walls but i think going back to basics may be the best thing to do.

5m is very impressive, i have heard some people can do that much but i can't imagine. i couldn't think i could do 3m in a day when i first started and i managed to do that at one point
valleydale

Postby Tracey B » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Nathan. The content of your post is very encouraging despite the fact that you currently feel rather the opposite.
It indicates that you are not prepared to compromise the quality of your work in order to throw up as many meters as you can as fast as possible. All being well your reputation for delivering a tight wall built with integrity will eventually begin to spread locally.
Your speed will begin to pick up again, as the longer you stay at it, the better your spatial awareness will become.
There are some clients around who are prepared to pay that bit extra for an excellent result and attention to detail. Good luck and keep the faith.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:32 am

I'm 65 this year and I only build around 3 - 3.5 meters a day. . Most of the other wallers here abouts are much younger and they can do a bit more - I've worked with a couple of them!

It does, as you know, also depend on the site, the stones, the weather and so on as to how much you do.

What I do guarantee is that like most skills, the more you do it, the better you should get and certainly you'll end up being faster.

When you first start or have less experience you may deliberate on whether a stone will fit, or look OK, or whether a better stone will be best, whether thats quite the right stone and so on. With experience you'll just know you are picking the right stone - ("Oh, it'll look fine once the walls up a bit" - and it will - because you've got the experience to back your thoughts up.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Economy of motion my friend, from the moment you pull out to the moment you top off .
How you aproach each part effects your pace...
Skills take time to learn but basic set ups are easy if you think about them..
Pm is open, if you want my advice :wink: pm.
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby valleydale » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:34 pm

thank you everyone for replying. things are getting slightly better now. I think my standards have gone up so i slowed down. Also going back to basics has helped.
valleydale

Postby Nigel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Did a cheekend last week with 21 courses below the copes at 1m high, no way you are going to be able to do 5m of that in a day...... in my opinion. And if you think the walling stones are thin, imagine the hearting!.

Different areas and stones, locations, styles of wall will make a difference to the amount you can do in a day.

Its difficult to answer these kinds of open questions when the forum covers the whole of the UK and beyond. You can only do what you can do.

Also, its the quiet season here on the forum with most wallers making the most of the weather working or just prefer to be outside. I for one am going back outdoors now.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion