How to build a wall!!

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

How to build a wall!!

Postby donald » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:32 pm

http://www.landscapejuice.com/2009/08/c ... urces.html
Or how not to,as Jim says.
another example of "radfordism".

What gets me is the ordinary punter, or client could watch this and be amazed...by the expertise shown, and some "wallers"or "dykers" would be none the wiser either!

I don't know where to begin here, how many bad practices/ illogical building techniques can you cram into a few minutes.
The basic technique is to hammer the stones together! Like making a pile of stones solid by hammering .

Where does this kind of stuff originate, and WHY??
Last edited by donald on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
donald

Re: How to build a wall!!

Postby jim scott » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:49 pm

I think it should have read "how not to build a wall"
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Where does this kind of stuff originate, and WHY??

I think we all know the answer already.

It's called " life " and is caused by the wonderful assortment of individuals who are free to post whatever they like on the web, without some boil-in-the bag dictator trying to stop them having freedom of opinion.

IE anyone can put any old guff on the web, but most folks know that and are wary.

I could name loads more sites and books, but I prefer to concentrate on the positive aspects of things.

If someone is taking a craft truly seriously then they will hopefully gravitate towards certification, but thats not to say there are some very good tradespersons out there without certification.

As they say - " Your'e only as good as your last job "
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby donald » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Yes I agree unfortunately there are numerous sources of dsw information that are at best misleading and at worst damaging to the profession, on my space etc, which we all should be aware of and try to counter by supporting positive mediums for walling but also stating where there are negative influences on the continuation of quality in the craft, misinformation, etc, it is not some oversimplification of individual freedom, but a real need to address the dwindling acceptance of land based skills as part of our cultural heriage and the realisation that it is not just the acceptance of those skills existing, but the realisation that the traditional skills knowledge base is being diluted by publications and dvds that contribute nothing to the furtherance of the craft and contribute instead to a dilution of thecraft's knowledge
Donald
donald

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi, New here so sorry for dragging this one up again.

It really is a bit awkward watching this. in my opinion it is dreadful. The reason for posting here though is that last summer I went on a caravan/camping holiday in Devon and saw quite a bit of this.

My friends have moved down to Sidmouth and got fed up with everybody (including myself) popping down to see them and using their house as a guest house, anyway to the point, they have now bought a static caravan to house us all on our visits, these caravans are located on a terraced area with a pile of stones as a retaining wall at the end.

The thing is, unless they got the same person who made this video to do the work at the caravan park, this seems to be a common thing down there. everything about what she is doing is wrong, it is almost like one of those John Cleese training vids from the 80s, but its for real, I have seen work to that standard with my own eyes.

its a shocker but true.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby NAIL » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm

I am certain thats you in that vid donald sure as hell looks like your handywork
NAIL

Postby milkywayman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm

:?: :?: What on earth :!: :!: I have been on a 1 day dsw day with FWAG and never so much a looked at a hammer.
milkywayman

Return to General Discussion